8.5″ x 11″ Poster
Hang this poster up around the community – at gas stations, in grocery stores, at your dentist’s office, etc. – and in your department to encourage participation in this event.
Customize Online NEW!
Web Banner Ads
Upload these banner ads to the homepage of your department’s website so that anyone checking out your site will find out about the event.
Generic Press Release
Use this press release to alert the public of this event. Send it out to your local media contacts to publish in your area newspapers for further community awareness.
*NOTE: Our recommendation is to send this press release out only a few weeks before the event as it may go unnoticed if run before then. Another option is to have it run more than once for optimum exposure.
Mercy Flight Contest
Mercy Flight Contest
Mercy Flight WNY is proud to be assisting FASNY again to promote their 2015 RecruitNY program. We are offering 2 Landings each day of the event April 25th & 26th 2015.
- Organize an open house committee that meets frequently beginning at least two months before the open house is scheduled.
- Consider having one individual responsible for each of the following areas or delegating specific tasks to specific members for accountability sake.
Open House Promotion: Two Weeks Before
- Put up yard signs and banners.
- Submit a news article to your local newspaper.
- Place flyers that reflect the excitement of firefighting and rescue service in stores, gas stations, and around your community.
- Make arrangements to speak to or distribute flyers to members of Rotary, • Kiwanis and Lions Clubs and your local Chamber of Commerce.
- Target your local high schools: make arrangements for a table display early in the week of your open house.
- Enlist members to ensure that the facilities and equipment are spotless.
- Plan to offer refreshments, if feasible. People respond to free food and beverages.
- Have visitors register for a drawing. Local businesses will donate gift certificates for pizza and other meals at their restaurants. Your hardware store may even offer a certificate for a reduced price on smoke detectors, which you can distribute to people attending the open house.
Open House Activities
- Download Fire In You resource materials to show potential recruits during your open house.
For example: Hang up a Fire In You poster in your department; share the Fire In You brochure with potential recruits at your open house; and play the commercial while potential recruits are at your station during your open house.
- Plan activities to provide both education and a hands-on experience that will stimulate interest in your visitors.
- Direct a hand line with another member.
- Show an extinguisher technique using a Bullex system.
- Review the turnout gear and SCBA.
- Demonstrate the Jaws of Life.
- Have displays (fire police, etc.) showing their important role in the fire service.
- Have people experience what it’s like to perform CPR chest compression techniques.
- Host an electronic recycling event during your open house, which will draw plenty of traffic and can double as a fundraising opportunity.
After the Event
- Follow up with the people who registered at the open house. Applicant enrollment is critical to our future.
- Fill out a Volunteer Profile Form for all new recruits.